SPORTS AND RECREATION
Loved by its residents for its outdoor lifestyle, connection with the environment and healthy way of life, it’s no surprise to learn that the area offers a great range of sports and recreation clubs, grounds and facilities.
Boating & Watersports
Boating, Ocean Swimming, Sailing, Kayaking, Surfing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding (SUP), Kite Surfing, Wind Surfing, Diving or Fishing. There are plenty of opportunities to get out of the waters of Lake Pupuke and The Hauraki Gulf. You can hire equipment and arrange lessons with the local experts.
- Devonport Yacht Club, 25 King Edward Parade, Devonport
- Girlsgetouttherenz SUP School, The Promenade, Takapuna
- Mad Loop Windsurfing School, Sylvan Park, Lake Pupuke, Milford
- Milford Cruising Club, 24 Craig Road, Milford
- North Shore Canoe Club, Lake Pupuke, Takapuna
- North Shore Rowing Club, Lake Pupuke,Takapuna
- Ocean Culture, SUP SURF Cafe, 8 The Promenade, Takapuna
- Performance Diver, 74 Barrys Point Road, Takapuna
- Stand Up Takapuna, Takapuna
- Takapuna Boating Club, Gould Reserve, 39 The Strand, Takapuna
- Wakatere Boating Club, Narrow Neck beach, Narrow Neck, Devonport
- Wings and Waves, Paragliding, Kite Surfing, 26 Beresford Street, Bayswater
Lawn Bowls is sport increasingly popular with young as well as older players.
- Devonport Bowling Club – 20 Cambridge Terrace, Devonport
- Milford Bowling Club – Commodore Parry Road, Castor Bay/Milford
- Takapuna Bowling Club – Byron Ave, Takapuna
A very popular summer sport in New Zealand. With the following clubs in the area.
- North Shore Cricket Club – Cambridge Terrace, Devonport
- Takapuna Cricket Club – Onewa Domain, Takapuna
Bikes maybe taken onto the Ferries without any additional charge. Cycling from Devonport to Takapuna and on to Milford using the Green Route is an ideal way to explore the area. Check out the following route maps.
The Waitemata Harbour and The Hauraki Gulf are a great day out regardless of whether you catch a fish or not (though the chances are you will). If you dont have access to a boat or kayak, then try fishing off one of the many wharves or at Lake Pupuke (a licence will be needed for Lake fishing and can be purchased at most fishing retailers or online – SEE HERE). Find news, advice, photos, videos, and a discussion forum to help you enjoy your North Shore fishing experience.
Pupuke Golf Club is located a few kilometers North of Milford and allows golfers to play a challenging par 70, 18 hole course and enjoy spectacular views across the Hauraki Gulf to Rangitoto Island. With food outlets in the lounge and an onsite bar, it’s a great place to recover from a game.
Takapuna Golf Course, 2km north of Takapuna CBD and close to Smales Farm bus station, offers a par 71, 18-hole course and driving range. The 220 metre double-storey floodlit driving range has 48 covered bays and is open until 11pm every night.
Waitemata Golf Club is close to the Historic Devonport Village as well as Cheltenham and Narrow Neck beaches and Woodall Park. The par 69 -18 hole course is flat and quite narrow (it was once a horse racing track), and offers beautiful parklike surrounds.
GLOPUTT MINIGOLF Auckland’s first amazing and bizarre new world of glow in the dark minigolf.
Now offer 16 holes with buildings, foliage, pathways and fairways illuminated with glowing technicolour , your outing becomes a really unique and memorable event for all.
Rugby is New Zealand’s national sport and New Zealanders are universally proud of its tradition and success upon the field.
- North Shore Rugby Football Club – Cambridge Terrace, Devonport
- Takapuna Rugby Football Union Football Club, Onewa Domain, Takapuna
- Rugby League – Glenfield – Greyhounds Rugby League Club,144 Sycamore Drive, Sunnynook
Located a short walk from the Takapuna CBD is the Takapuna Pool & Leisure Centre to enjoy recreational indoor swimming, or fitness.
There are a number of tennis clubs in the area, as well as free community courts such as the one at Takarunga/Mount Victoria, Devonport and also in Woodall Park, Narrow Neck.
Here are some of the local clubs:
- Belmont Racquets Club, 133 Bayswater Avenue, Bayswater
- Forrest Hill Tennis Centre – Bond Crescent, Forrest Hill
- Milford Tennis Club, Dodson Avenue, Milford
- Ngataringa Tennis Club – Stanley Bay Park, Calliope Road, Stanley Point
- Takapuna Tennis Club – Bracken Ave, Takapuna